Chef de Partie
Perfect opportunities begin at Perfect Day!
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees on our Private Island located in The Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
Coordinates activities of a particular workstation engaged in preparing and cooking food products for various Island venues per instructions from the Sous Chef . The position should have previously works in various sections of the galley supporting the shipboard teams with this fast paced service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Each culinary Island employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to Royal Caribbean International’s The Royal Way. This includes a clean uniform, name tag, Chef’s hat, apron, hair net for ladies, calibrated thermometer, neckerchief with gold color neck slide, company approved specified safety shoes and wearing appropriate PPE according to assigned tasks.
- On a daily basis, meets with the Sous Chef to review the requirements of the day’s meals and time frames for service.
- Supports the ship call day and island operation to ensure speed and efficiency.
- Conducts on job training with Commis, in knowledge and cooking procedures outlined as per venue.
- Works with Storekeeper to maintain any Island Inventory that is stored on Island
- Hand on supervises the assigned workstation function.
- Assigns duties and responsibilities to employees.
- Fully responsible for organizing work schedule and controlling over time of assigned section.
- This is a hands on role.
- Observes and evaluates employees and work procedures to ensure quality standards and level of service is met.
- Ensures that their station has proper staffing and communicates this to his supervisor.
- Trains and monitors entry level cooks for proper service. Provides on-the-job training to strengthen their current performance and preparation for possible advancement to promotional positions. Ensures that all their junior co-workers are doing on-the-job training by ensuring that each employee reads training manuals and attends practical training sessions in order to be prepared for certification in the culinary training program.
- Conducts an inventory of the items in the workstation storage.
- Reviews the quality and quantity of the delivery and accepts issued product from the ship.
- Works with all galley personnel in a cooperative, productive and effective manner.
- Adjusts thermostat controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, steam kettles, etc. Tests equipment to ensure accuracy of temperature gauges, heating or cooling elements, etc. Reports to the Sous Chef all malfunctions and requests for necessary repairs.
- Acquire proficiency in regards to standard regulations about proper food storage, correct food preparation and safe food temperature.
- Learn about OPP and practice common procedures to prevent outbreak. Monitors workstation and staff for adherence to those procedures.
- Conducts on-the-job training to ensure all crew members working in his/her area of responsibility know RCG and Public Health Control Plan as related to preparing, holding, storing, re-heating and serving food. Conducts training and follow up on record keeping
- Supervises and participates in cleaning the workstations during and after meal preparation. Enforces and follows cleaning procedures for work surfaces, all related equipment and utensils. Supervises the assembly of the workstation for the next meal preparation shift. This includes cleaning and preparing food storage areas and refrigerators.
- Consider safety of one’s self, colleagues and guests. Be familiar with the nearest first aid station, location of safety equipment and routes around the island’s work stations.
- Ensure to provide guests with professional and friendly service at all times. R
- esponsible to secure Company property and food products brought to the island.
- Must work in best sanitary conditions applying standard of hygiene and cleanliness.
- Works closely with the Sous Chef with regard to the evaluation progress for 90 days, mid-contract and end-of-contract evaluations for employees under their supervision.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills:
- Proof of cook apprenticeship completion or equivalency. Four to six years experience cooking and preparing food in a 4 or 5-star hotel, restaurant or high volume food service facility.
- Ability to read, interpret and demonstrate the preparation of recipes for all basic meat, fish, sauce and side dishes. The demonstration includes advanced cooking methods such as braise, sauté, broil and grill and the use of a variety of knifes to slice, dice, chop, julienne, etc.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and able to train members of the team.
- Extensive knowledge of food handling procedures with regard to public health standards.
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment to meet overall established time frames for the entire food service operation.
- Ability to learn and utilize knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function. Ability to supervise an international team of entry-level cooks and chefs in a positive and productive manner by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or recommend termination of employment.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with department heads, coworkers and other Island employees to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
- Computer knowledge is required.
- All island employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills.
- Full use/range of motion of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency.
- Must be able to stand in the sun and endure external elements during work assignment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Outdoors may be required to walk in extreme humid and hot conditions.
Join us at Royal Caribbean Group, where great vacations begin with great employees!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. RCG and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment