Cook Assistant Commis
Perfect opportunities begin at Perfect Day!
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees on our Private Island located in The Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
The Cook Assistant Commis is responsible for preparing and cooking high quality foods according to Royal Caribbean International's recipe standard. Primarily assist the Chef de Partie and be capable for executing heavy production demand on a daily basis.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Each culinary Island employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to Royal Caribbean International’s The Royal Way. This includes a clean uniform, name tag, Chef’s hat, apron, hair net for ladies, calibrated thermometer, neckerchief with gold color neck slide, company approved specified safety shoes and wearing appropriate PPE according to assigned tasks.
- In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in Excellence, each employee conducts one’s self in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow Island and shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact, and employee areas.
- Each culinary employee reports to their workstation assignment on time and properly groomed and dressed according to Royal Caribbean International’s The Royal Way. This includes a clean uniform, name tag, chef’s hat, apron, hair net for ladies and specified safety shoes and appropriate personal protection equipment.
- Collaborates with the assigned station-head, usually the Chef de Partie to review the requirements of the day’s meals and time frames for service.
- Acquires proficiency in regards to public health control plan to ensure all foods, served and prepared, are safe for consumption.
- Records food temperature, prepares other required logs.
- Learn about OPP and practices common procedures to prevent outbreak.
- Works with assigned station team members or all others in a cooperative, productive and effective manner.
- Provide new employees a positive example and guidance on daily activities and familiarization of the work place.
- Knows and operates all equipment according to Company’s standard operating procedures.
- Adjusts thermostat controls to regulate temperature of refrigerators, ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, steam kettles, etc. Tests equipment to ensure accuracy of temperature gauges, heating or cooling elements, etc. Reports to station head all malfunctions and requests necessary repairs.
- Maintains cleanliness of all utensils and equipment in their assigned section, taking care not to splash water inside the electrical components to prevent damage.
- Handle carefully all equipment by placing them in the right storage areas and never allowing anything to drop onto the floor while transporting to other location.
- Report immediately to supervisor any equipment that is out of order or needs to be repaired.
- Pick up food items from the Island provision store and deliver food products to certain outlets.
- Remove empty cartons and boxes in the provision area and bring them to incinerator room.
- Practice correct garbage separation.
- Follow Island preparedness plan for all venues for ship call day
- Organize and prepare mis en place.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipe to prepare soups, salads, gravies, desserts, sauces, and casseroles.
- Evaluate foods being cooked by tasting, smelling, and determining the correct food temperature by using a calibrated and sanitized thermometer.
- Works in various stations that prepare meat, fish, vegetables, and other foods for baking, roasting, broiling, grilling, braising, sautéing, steaming, etc.
- Perform multitask activities such as wash, peel, cut and shred fruits and vegetables. Butcher chicken, fish and shellfish. Cut, trim and bone meat prior to cooking or serving.
- Places food items, portions and garnishments in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s corporate recipe standard.
- Ensure all foods on plates at Coco beach Club are correctly portioned and served uniformly.
- While working in front of the house or buffet areas must be able to explain ingredients in the menu and preparation techniques.
- While working at the company’s private destination, consider safety of one’s self, colleagues and guests. Be familiar with the nearest first aid station, location of safety equipment and routes around the island’s work station.
- Ensure to provide guests with professional and friendly service at all times.
- Responsible to secure Company property and food products brought to the island.
- Must work in best sanitary condition as applied Island including standard of hygiene and cleanliness.
- Cleans workstations before and after meal preparation. Follows Island cleaning procedures for work surfaces, and all related equipment and utensils. Assembles workstation for the next meal preparation shift. This includes cleaning of food storage areas and refrigerators.
- Practice ergonomic exercise such as stretching before reporting for duty.
- Required to report first stage of illness or health disorder to immediate supervisors.
- Attends meetings, training activities, company culinary training course and all other work-related activities on time.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the Island employee occupying this position. Island employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills:
- Proof of cook apprenticeship completion or equivalency.
- Minimum 3 years kitchen experience in a 4 star hotel, restaurant or high volume food service facility.
- Ability to read, interpret, demonstrate culinary fundamentals and knife skills.
- Possesses sound knowledge of food handling procedures with regard to public health standards and kitchen cleanliness.
- Knowledge of food ingredients from international classical dishes.
- Ability to identify and operate common kitchen equipment such as grinders, deep fryers, ovens, Bain Marie, mixers, etc.
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment.
- Ability to communicate tactfully with others.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
- Computer literacy is a plus.
- All island employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills.
- Full use/range of motion of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency.
- Must be able to stand in the sun and endure external elements during work assignment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Outdoors may be required to walk in extreme humid and hot conditions.
Join us at Royal Caribbean Group, where great vacations begin with great employees!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. RCG and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment