At Panda, we care about the games we make and value the unique perspective each person brings to the table. We believe we are stronger when we incorporate a diverse set of voices from people of all ages, races, ethnicities, religions, genders, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. Applicants from communities underrepresented in the tabletop games industry are encouraged to apply.
Panda Game Manufacturing is a world renowned tabletop game manufacturer. With a focus on industry-leading component quality and service, we have produced thousands of tabletop games for clients around the world. Panda works with first-time game designers as well as industry titans to create products ranging from small card games to award-winning deluxe board games.
Our head office is located in Vancouver, Canada. Our manufacturing base is in Shenzhen, China, and we have a team working remotely from their home offices in over 20 cities across North America and Europe. Our common bond is our passion to produce (and play) the best quality games in the business!
Panda is currently seeking a full-time, Full-Stack Developer with a minimum of 3 years experience to help build the next generation of software to support our internal and external teams. The developer will work closely with our Technology Director, development team, and will support-and be supported by-Panda team members around the globe.
This is a fully remote position, with occasional work travel when it becomes safe to do so. While we expect travel to be part of the job again in the future, the health and well-being of our team is a top priority, and our basic travel policy during the pandemic has been not to require travel for any employees who are uncomfortable doing so.
The Full-Stack Developer position encompasses the following major areas of responsibility.
- Transform software designs into working software features for moderate to high complexity internal software projects to increase the productivity and efficiency of our employees
- Review existing code to optimize for performance, readability, security, and overall quality; assist in the design of new features
- Conduct code reviews on code contributions from other team members to ensure they are meeting the department standards
- Create and maintain documentation to help others understand the code behind our software
- Practice Test-Driven development, and create high-quality, extensible code while meeting department standards
- Assist with support requests and bug fixes for existing features used by various departments
- Maintain, update and improve existing systems and technologies used by the team
- Troubleshoot, debug and provide general technical support for current and future tools
- Stay up to date on emerging technologies; Use advanced knowledge in software development to identify opportunities for improvement and new features in software systems
- Promote the overall Panda brand in all forms of digital interaction with clients
Attributes and Experience
Our team consists of a fun and dynamic group of gaming enthusiasts who care about delivering a great experience and product to customers. We are looking for a team player that shares our company vision to create beautiful games and make a positive impact in this fun and exciting industry!
- 3+ Years of experience in software development or a related field
- Experience with databases and web server technology
- Experience with using Git as a version control system
- 3+ Years of experience with PHP, Python, or comparable scripting languages
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Access to a private and professional home office setup for video conference calls
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Systematic problem-solving approach
- Self-motivated to complete tasks alone or with a team in a timely manner
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive information
- Ability to travel internationally for at least 1 week per year, including to Canada, the USA, the EU, the UK, Hong Kong, and China. If you have any visa or passport issues that would prevent you from traveling to the locations listed, please let us know as soon as possible.
- Knowledge of Docker / containerized applications
- Experience with a variety of AWS technologies, such as EC2, S3, RDS, and Lambda
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with web security
- API-driven development, REST; both producing and consuming
- Experience building entire features for progressive / SPA web applications
- Experience with Agile development practices
Panda's Core Development Languages, Frameworks, and Tools
- PHP, Laravel 8+
- HTML, CSS (SASS)
- SQL (MySQL, MariaDB)
- Git, GitLab
- AWS (EC2, S3, RDS, Lambda)
An ideal candidate will have many of the following attributes:
- Deep and sincere passion for the tabletop games industry
- Tabletop industry experience (either paid or unpaid)
- Highly effective communicator
- Able to manage high work volume with quick response times
- Natural relationship builder and energetic team player with high social intelligence
- Self-motivated, highly organized, resourceful, and detail oriented
- Technologically savvy and adept at remote work
- University / College education
- Flexible with work hours, as this role involves working with clients and team mates around the world
Benefits of Working at Panda
- Fun and dynamic industry: If you are a tabletop gamer, you will definitely appreciate the excitement, friendliness and innovation of our industry
- Remote Work: Flexible working hours and the ability to work from virtually anywhere
- Two week in-person Training Camp in February 2022 to kick off your journey with Panda. Note: while we hope this will be in-person, Covid may require this to be partially or fully online.
- Maternity and Paternity paid time off
- Games Allowance: We provide a yearly allowance for game purchases. This can be used for any tabletop game, not just games made by Panda
- Productivity Allowance: We provide a yearly allowance for new computer or mobile device purchases, home office upgrades, or even co-working space memberships
- Travel Allowance: We provide a bonus for every day you spend traveling for business
- Health and Wellness Allowance: We provide a yearly allowance for personal health and wellness, such as sporting equipment, yoga classes, massages, gym memberships, mental health care, and more
- Investment Allowance: We encourage our employees to save money for retirement, and we provide a yearly allowance for retirement savings.
- Team-based cash bonuses
- Health Coverage Benefits for US and Canadian Employees
- Flexible Vacation Benefits: 10 to 12 Flex Days off per year + 5 days off for Chinese New Year + 5 single days off (1 each quarter & Dec 26) + National statutory holidays honored
Job Location: Work remotely (from home office), with occasional business travel. We will consider candidates from anywhere in the world.
Start date: February 2022
Active Tabletop Publishers
Panda is happy to hire people with tabletop industry experience, including active game designers who license their designs to publishers. However, Panda does not hire people who own tabletop game publishing companies and who actively publish tabletop games. If you currently own a tabletop game publishing company and actively publish games, you would need to divest yourself of that business or cease publishing games prior to starting work with Panda. You can contact email@example.com with any questions.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume through our online application system here: https://pandagm.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=22&source=pandagm. Please also provide the URL for your Video Submission (instructions below) and answer the questions in the online application.
Video Submission Instructions
Please submit a 2-minute video of yourself in your remote work space addressing the following 3 points. We are not judging this video on your video editing skills. You do not need fancy equipment. It is fine to record it on your phone or webcam. Videos longer than 2 minutes will not be watched.
- Tell us about yourself and why you want to work at Panda
- Tell us what makes you a great fit for the role
- Show us the space that you'll be using for your home office
Please upload your video to a location where we can access it (such Youtube, Vimeo, Dropbox, etc), and provide the video URL in the last question of our questionnaire. You can optionally password-protect the video using "pandagm" as the password, or upload it without a password. Either way, make sure we can access it using the link you provide.
We have a comprehensive selection process that involves four rounds. We believe in long-term partnerships, and our selection process is designed with the intention of ensuring a good fit both ways - so that we can determine if you would be a good fit for the role, and also to give you ample opportunity to learn about Panda, our team, and our culture to ensure that the role is a good fit for you.
We look forward to reviewing your application!
For more information on Panda Game Manufacturing, please visit www.pandagm.com
For questions about this job posting, please email firstname.lastname@example.org