Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
We are looking for a strong Senior Accountant to join our team. Reporting to our Corporate Controller, this person will work hand in hand with our business partners, which includes cross-functional and cross-geographical teams.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- Assist with month and year-end accounting close, including preparation of assigned journal entries and reconciliations as an integral member of the monthly closing process.
- Run month end reports and prepare balance sheet reconciliations for review by GL Accounting Manager.
- Participate with support partners to research and resolve issues with information feeds to the General Ledger.
- Assist quote to cash processes in regards to process improvements, control framework adherence, and general workload support.
- Assist in developing and documenting policies and procedures, including system requirements and internal controls. *Assist in projects to improve efficiency and automation in accounting processes.
- Support annual financial statement audits by outside, independent auditors.
- Support bi-annual bank audits.
- Assist with annual insurance renewals.
- Maintain a positive and supportive work environment that encourages the sharing of information and ideas, situational awareness, and courtesy for all workers.
- Participate in other projects as directed by the Controller.
In the first week, expect to:
- Get your bearings and understand the general structure and cadence of working in our fully remote environment.
- This includes but is not limited to learning your way around the various tools and systems (i.e. google docs, slack messaging, using the platform for information pulls, etc.),
- Get to know the leaders within our Finance organization, set up meetings with each team member.
- Learn the trial balance account structure and the type of accounts we use, and the general flow of the information feeding the GL.
In the first month, expect to:
- Assist with the completion of the monthly financial statement close process. This includes assisting the controller in reconciliation review, assisting with trouble-shooting issues that arise in the reconciliation process, assisting with posting of various GL transactions, etc.
- Assist with the preparation of talent payments, have a general understanding of processes and procedures, and begin to process improvement opportunities.
- Start to form quality relationships cross-functionally and be willing to follow others’ lead on certain topics.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Perform all work in previously mentioned timeline, and begin working independently and have the ability to bring improvement opportunities to the Controller for evaluation.
- Be involved in the audit process (both banking and external FS audit) and start to add value via support pulling substantive documents.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Be fully up to speed on internal processes and procedures, be an active member of the team, performing all job functions under the responsibility listing with the level of quality expected of the position.
- Be able to take on tasks and complete them with minimal supervision.
In the first year, expect to:
- Perform the previously mentioned job responsibilities with proficiency and minimal supervision.
- Bachelor degree in Accounting.
- 4+ years of progressive accounting experience or 2+ years in a public accounting environment (big 4 or large local/regional firm).
- CPA preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, including advanced financial modeling and analytical techniques.
- Strong grasp of GAAP accounting and general accounting concepts.
- Extensive ERP hands-on experience; Intacct a plus.
- Experience with FX and consolidation procedures.
- General experience with international tax.
- Excellent analytical skills with strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact with all departments.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.