WASH Project & Proposal Design Consultant
Winrock International is seeking experienced project designers with practical experience in Water Security, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) activity design to sit on our bench of proposal technical writers and designers. The consultant will be contracted to develop innovative, evidence driven technical solutions related to WASH system strengthening for specific client opportunities. The consultant will be expected to independently lead or work as part of a larger team to support the technical design of proposals for clients including USAID. The consultant will have advanced technical design skills—in both the proposal and project context—and should be able to work across the following thematic areas:
- Promote sustainable access to safe drinking Water and Sanitation services, and the adoption of key hygiene behaviors, including through marker-based approaches.
- Strengthen water sector governance, financing, and institutions.
- Encourage the sound management and protection of freshwater resources, including through cooperation on shared waters.
- Ensure participation of women, girls, youth and marginalized populations in WASH programming.
- Work with specialists across the organization to build the evidence and analysis to inform and justify technical solutions.
- Participate in pre-proposal release technical design, including identifying and analyzing potential solutions in response to development challenges through desk research, stakeholder interviews, and ideation with specialists across the organization.
- Provide expert advice and leadership on integrating systems thinking, human centered design, local ownership and collaborating, learning and adapting (CLA) approaches into the design of solutions, both at the capture and proposal development stages.
- Assist in packaging, tailoring and articulating the evidence base for existing methods, models, approaches, and tools to the development context and identified solutions.
- Write compelling technical approach sections that are compliant with bid requirements and tell a differentiating story of how the proposed approach will result in systemic change.
- Provide input on consortium building, work planning and budgets to the proposal team as needed.
Qualifications and Background
- At least 10 years of experience designing, implementing and evaluating WASH or Water Resources programs
- Strong analytical skills in strategic planning including: identifying and defining appropriate analyses to inform project design; ability to synthesize multiple data sources and stakeholder viewpoints
- Strong demonstrated understanding of recent good practice approaches to systems thinking in project design, including approaches which promote community and system resilience and sustainability, governance and institution strengthening, and social behavior change
- Knowledge of competitive proposal development processes and components and understanding of donor priorities and trends
- Track record of writing winning technical proposals for USAID
- Proven ability to conduct extensive research and analysis to ensure proposals have country and technical relevance and context
- Demonstrated understanding of results-oriented approaches for integrating CLA approaches into project and proposal design.
- Excellent ability to work in a team and collaborate with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds.
- Fluency in English required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Proven ability to meet interim and final deadlines.
- Timely communication with the proposal or technical leads on any red flags or lack of clarity on tasks or deliverables, etc.
- Ability to listen and incorporate constructive feedback on process and deliverables.
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software (Microsoft).