New International Freshmen
New International Freshmen Admissions
Submit the following to complete your application file:
- $30 non-refundable application fee. This can be paid online when you submit your application. Students who need to mail a check or money order can select “Pay by Check” at the end of the application process and then submit their application.
- A copy of your passport to ensure that we have the correct spelling of your name.
- Official high school (secondary school) exams, transcripts, or individual mark sheets sent from the school to International Admissions. If these documents are not in English, an official word for word English translation must be submitted with the original documents.
- TOEFL requirement: 73 iBT; or IELTS requirement: 6.0
- If you are admitted, you will need to provide evidence that you can pay for your first year of study by submitting a bank statement or scholarship letter. If you are not the account owner listed on the bank statement, you must also submit the Affidavit of Support signed by your sponsor.
Freshman Admission Requirements
- Hold a credential that is comparable to a U.S. high school diploma.
- Have a grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. All marks and scores will be converted to a 4.0 grading scale.
- Proof of English proficiency for admission to academics. If you do not meet English proficiency, you will be required to complete the WESL program before entering academics.
You do not have to submit proof of English proficiency if you meet the following criteria no earlier than two years before your matriculation date at WIU:
- You studied at least two years at a state recognized U.S. high school and earned at least a 2.5/4.0 GPA in in an academic core curriculum.
- You completed a minimum of two academic years of full-time study at the secondary level in a country where English is the primary language (not merely the language of instruction), immediately prior to the proposed date of enrollment.
Applications are reviewed in the order that they are completed. You should allow at least four to five weeks after we have received all of your supporting documents to process your application file. Once an admission decision has been made, you will be notified of your next steps at the email address on your application.