Jun 01, 2021

College Admission

  • University of Bridgeport
  • 126 Park Ave, Bridgeport, CT 06604, USA
College/University Education / Training

Job / Advertisement Description

International Undergraduate Requirements

Admission Requirements for International Students Seeking Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degrees

A completed application

The application fee will be waived for all students (graduate and undergraduate)​.

Click here for the Student Application

Academic records

For applicants who have not yet received their secondary or high school certificate/diploma
Submit official/notarized/certified/or attested copies of ALL senior secondary/high school records. This includes mark sheets, academic transcripts, final examination results, diplomas, and degree certificates such as Std. X (SSC), Std. XII (HSC), O Levels, A Levels, WAEC, CXC, IB, etc.

For applicants who have attended any post-secondary institution (college/university)
Submit official/notarized/attested/or certified copies of senior secondary/high school records (see above) and ALL post-secondary school (university/college) records. This includes mark sheets, academic transcripts, examination result, diplomas, and degree certificates. Failure to provide ALL academic records may result in denial of admission, admission and scholarship revocation, and/or refusal of transfer credit.

For applicants wishing to receive transfer credit
Students wishing to receive transfer credit must submit official/notarized/attested/or certified academic records as above, with the credit award being done with course descriptions/syllabi in view. When not readily available online, students may be requested to provide official course descriptions showing exact course numbers and names. Student-generated descriptions are not accepted. Course descriptions may be submitted after notice of admission but must be done before registering for classes. Transfer credit is offered at the discretion of the faculty and is not always awarded.

For applicants submitting non-English academic records
Submit word-for-word notarized/certified/or attested English translations in the same format as the official document if the official document is not in English. It is important that everything on the official document is translated. Translations must be done by a bona fide translating agency in the applicant’s country or in the U.S.

Proof of English proficiency

Most of our accepted applicants have at least 75 on TOEFL, 6.0 on IELTS, or 90 on Duolingo. If you have taken another English test (iTEP, PTE, etc.), please submit the scores and we would be happy to review them. Students whose score is insufficient may still apply for Conditional Admission. 

For Applicants wishing for Conditional Admission
Appearing for some form of English exam is required. Students who do not provide sufficient English test scores prior to registration will be given the University’s English Language Assessment Battery (ELAB) test upon arrival. If the ELAB is passed at a satisfactory level, students may begin academic classes. If not, the student will be required to attend the University’s English Language Institute (ELI) until proficiency is reached.

At least one letter of recommendation

Provide at least one letter of recommendation in English. These letters may be submitted online or may come in a sealed envelope from professors or employers who can attest to the applicant’s accomplishments and potential for success at the undergraduate level. No special form is required.

A personal statement or essay

Submit an original personal statement/essay (250-500 words) CLEARLY explaining why the particular academic program was chosen, what the degree will do for the applicant’s personal and career development, and how such a degree will help them to achieve future goals and aspirations. Please include professional plans for after the program is completed as well.

A current passport copy

Applicants currently in the United States planning to transfer their SEVIS record to the University of Bridgeport must also submit a copy of their Visa showing their entry stamp and copies of all I-20s received. Applicants planning to bring dependents should also submit copies of their dependents’ passports, visas, I-20s, birth certificates, marriage licenses as well.

Proof of funding

USCIS requires that students on F1 Visas show proof of funding for a full academic year. Applicants should submit an original or color-scanned bank statement showing readily accessible, liquid assets. If the account is not in the applicant’s name, please complete and submit the Financial Statement for International Students Form (FSIS). The bank statement must be no more than 6 months old, in English, and it must be in the same name as the sponsor. If being sponsored by a government or company, please submit a letter of financial guarantee with the FSIS form.