Jul 31, 2021

College Admission

  • Penn State University
  • 201 Shields Bldg, University Park, PA 16802-1294
College/University Education / Training

Job / Advertisement Description

Admission Requirements for International Students

Required Application Materials

Penn State requires a number of different materials from international students to complete an application. Please review the following requirements to ensure you can provide all of the proper documentation to complete your application.

Academic Records

Penn State requires first-year international applicants (not transfer students) to complete the Self-Reported Academic Record (SRAR) portion of the Penn State application, unless their country of schooling is South Korea.

For students required to complete SRAR

Those first-year international students who complete SRAR and who accept an offer of admission to Penn State will need to submit final official secondary school transcripts as soon as possible. These documents will be used to validate the information submitted through SRAR.

In order to know what is required to send, please review our list of required credentials from various countries.

Review Required International Academic Credentials

The following requirements apply to documents required from admitted students:

  • All documents submitted for review must be official, that is, they must be either originals or copies certified by the examining board, an official at the institution, the Ministry of Education, or consulate. A "certified" copy is one that bears an original signature of the registrar or other designated school official, an original impression of the institution's seal, or signature/seal of the examining board. Uncertified or notarized copies are not considered official documents.
  • All documents should be submitted in the original language. All documents in languages other than English must be accompanied by a certified line-by-line, literal English translation.
  • Should the school, examining board, Ministry of Education, or consulate mail the official document to you, the applicant, rather than Penn State, please forward the unopened envelope to Penn State. Official copies that are not sent directly to Penn State and are opened by the applicant can no longer be considered official.
  • Records can be faxed from the high school or examination board to 814-863-7590, or mailed to:

Secondary School Records

Secondary records are required for both first-year and transfer international students. For students completing SRAR and accepting their offer of admission to Penn State, these records are required by July 1. For those students instructed to complete the Penn State application without completing SRAR, the records are required as part of the application process. 

Transcripts of coursework and grades are required for all years of secondary school study. International students should send the following at the appropriate time:

  • Secondary school records that list the subjects studied each year and the mark or grade of proficiency earned in each.
  • A key to the marking system with information on the minimum passing mark.
  • Examination results, if you complete secondary school in a country where a secondary school leaving examination (GCSE, GCE, CXC, French Baccalaureate, Abitur, etc.) is administered.
  • Certified copies of diplomas or certificates if you have already completed secondary school.

Post-Secondary Records

If you attend or have attended a post-secondary institution outside the United States, we require the following:

  • Official transcripts, which include all subjects studied each year and the grade/mark earned in each subject.
  • A key to the marking system with information on the minimum passing mark.
  • Course descriptions of all classes you have taken and intend to take prior to the semester in which you hope to enroll at Penn State. If descriptions are not available, please provide 3- to 5-sentence descriptions of each course. Include the content, scope, credits/number of hours for each course or the number of hours per week, and the number of weeks per semester.

If you attend or have attended a post-secondary institution in the United States, official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to Penn State.

For further information on transferring to Penn State, including program-specific admissions requirements, please see the information for transfer students.