Shell Trading and Supply is the world’s largest energy trading business and operates in every major energy market around the world. It supports the Shell group businesses by trading natural gas, electrical power, crude oil, refined products, biofuels, chemical feedstocks, freight, and environmental products. Shell Trading and Supply also manages one of the world's largest fleets of liquefied natural gas carriers and oil tankers and provides maritime expertise and logistics to Shell companies and external customers. Our aim is to create value for Shell’s shareholders, customers and counterparties across the globe by forging successful partnerships that generate mutually beneficial commercial opportunities.
The Market Risk Operations Team is responsible for ensuring that risk processes are operated efficiently and in a timely manner, maintaining trading portfolio integrity is complete and accurate, and that controls in both the risk area and front office are performed correctly. The Senior Market Risk Operations Analyst reports to the Manager of Market Risk Operations who is based in London so the candidate will need to be comfortable with working independently with limited supervision at times, and be able to thrive as part of a global team with members in the US, UK, India and Singapore.
The goal is to ensure that all data needed for portfolio risk assessment and valuation is complete, timely and accurate, and that systems and controls are in place to ensure compliance with the global Risk Management framework.
The role works closely with the other risk teams across the Trading and Supply business including a significant Business Operations component, regular discussions with Market Risk, Valuation, Front Office, Finance and Back Office, and a focal point for forward curve and pricing related queries from across the Shell group.
- The Market Risk Operations group is responsible for maintaining observable valuation inputs e.g. exchange prices, broker quotes, derivable volatilities and correlations to risk calculations.
- Understand physical spot price assessments and the construction of forward curves.
- Working with Market Risk analysts and traders to come up with the best forward curves possible where data availability is limited, and to implement them in the trading systems alongside the Business Operations team.
- Manage relationships with external data providers such as Exchanges and Brokers.
- Regularly review assumptions and estimates in our valuation curves to ensure that they are suitable and up to date.
- Carry out the review and execution of SOX controls and manage communications with auditors after they are completed.
- Manage user testing of systems functionality and enhancements while providing feedback to key stakeholders.
- Must be a systems and data expert ensuring that knowledge around market risk reference data & forward curve construction is well documented for the benefit of the wider Market Risk team.
- Ensure process excellence, identifying bottlenecks in Risk processes. Implementing error-checking as a natural part of all processes so output is ‘Right First Time’.
- Support digitalization and automation to smooth the flow of information across the business and to remove manual tasks.
- Map and document processes, clarify accountabilities, and simplify interfaces to allow the smooth running of the Risk organization.
- Be an end to end deal expert understanding risk at all parts during the life of a deal interacting with the functional experts to help identify and suggest remediation to those risks
- Implement Shell best practices in commodity trading risk management.
- Ensure that Risk fulfils its role as an independent “check and balance” function and is viewed as such by other parts of the organization.
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement by having the courage to challenge established processes. This includes identifying inefficiencies in local and global operations and opportunities to streamline and automate shared processes and interfaces.
- Excellent communication skills; the role will require writing reports and policies and presenting analysis and insights to senior stakeholders. Due to the global nature of the business the role requires communicating using different methods, in a variety of formats, to people in many countries.
- Ability to articulate and communicate complex scenarios and ideas in a clear and concise manner whilst understanding the perspective and experience of others. Ability to challenge sensitive issues constructively whilst maintaining working relationships.
- This is a role for a person who brings diversity of thought, who is not afraid to speak up and who is comfortable challenging senior stakeholders.
- Proactively identify and communicate potential issues with the appropriate teams or stakeholders. Making sure problems raised are followed up and worked on until completion.
- Able to collaborate and produce good quality output working with colleagues in different teams who report to different managers.
- Team player, good interpersonal skills. Flexible to work with colleagues across numerous time zones with both Market Risk at the Trading Hubs in the Americas, Europe and Asia; but equally the Business Operations centers in Chennai, Manilla, Bangalore.
- The role works closely with risk analysts in all parts of the risk management department including a significant Business Operations component. The incumbent is tasked with ensuring that the business that they cover is widely understood and that any changes to it or the supporting risk management framework are communicated properly to all stakeholders.
- Ability to coach and mentor team members as well as members of other teams who require knowledge or skills that Risk can provide.
- Degree in Business, Economics, Mathematics, Science, Engineering or IT; or relevant workplace experience in the energy trading industry.
- Experience within a trading and risk management organization (5+ years or equivalent), including an understanding of trading, operations, risk, compliance and mid/back office business processes, policies, procedures and controls.
- Understanding of financial, commodity and energy markets; derivative instruments and hedging techniques.
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills; such as pivot tables, lookups, VBA macros. SQL and Python an advantage, other coding languages can also be useful.
- Experience with Endur, DEX or comparable energy trading risk management system and ability to fully leverage its functionality.
- Reliable, dependable and disciplined. Excellent attention to detail, methodical, organized. A trusted partner of the business.
- Resilient when working under pressure, with the ability to prioritize tasks to meet key deadlines.
- Good judgement to provide advice, question discrepancies, escalate issues.
- Continuous improvement mindset; utilizing tools to streamline and automate work to boost
- Scientific mindset; identify, investigate, analyze, research, discuss, record, and resolve issues.
- Learner mindset; innovative and creative, excellent problem-solving capabilities.
- A critical and strategic thinker, with a long-term view on risk but with a short term and pragmatic view on implementation.
To apply for this role please email your resume to HR-Advice-Bahamas@shell.com, on or before Friday, March 5, 2021.