We're looking for a senior support leader to help grow our support team and play a critical role in shaping the culture of a 100% remote team. Interested in leading a remote global support team on a mission to democratize automation? Then read on...
You have proven success in leading support teams through fast growth and know how to manage managers. You're familiar with what it takes to scale your team from 40 to 100+. We're looking for 10+ years experience and a drive to keep getting better at it.
You're motivated by ensuring our customers' and support team's success every day. You are passionate about balancing efficiency with a fabulous customer and employee experience. We want our customers' experience to be free of friction while they are using our product, rather than building a large support team to help customers through friction. But you also recognize that human interaction can sometimes be the touch that's needed to help a customer when a product isn't quite meeting the needs of the customer.About You
Things You Might Do
- You understand Customer Support is a competitive advantage. The experiences we give to customers through support will define their experience with the product as a whole. You're committed to ensuring your team sets a high bar for those experiences.
- You are a skilled and empathic manager. You've managed and interacted with many types of support teams and managers alike. The current Core Support team at Zapier includes roughly 50 people who know a lot about integrations and APIs.
- You've scaled support teams before. You've been involved in growing support teams and would be well suited to help grow Zapier from ~50 to 100+ customer champions and beyond. You will be responsible for leading over half of this team, which is focused on our long tail of customers.
- You are a skilled mentor and coach. You realize the best way to grow a team is by helping them to grow themselves. You're able to effectively share your experience and provide a clear framework for growth.
- You are customer, product, and business focused. You are able to relate to our customers and team members to provide and translate technical approaches into business application in a simple and clear manner.
- You're a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You'll use written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the support and full Zapier team.
- You are data driven. You know how to pick the right metrics, measure our progress against them, and evaluate key support processes to change and help us reach outcomes that improve our customers' experience.
- You're a champion for doing things efficiently. At Zapier, the work you do will have a disproportionate impact on the business. We believe in systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves. We believe the best way to inform your execution of this is to jump right into the queue (approximately 5% of your week) and interact with our customers the same way your team does. Your team will LOVE to help you with this!
- Your Curious. You like to ask questions, get feedback and observe your organization on an ongoing basis. You use these inputs as the foundations when you make decisions and plan for your organization. You feel satisfied when your teams inputs are reflected in how you shape its future.
Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Oversee and grow a team of 30+ Customer Champions, globally.
- Mentoring, training, and retaining top-tier talent by fostering an inclusive culture that offers continuous learning and growth.
- Tracking metrics and managing team to improve support efficiency and effectiveness (productivity, time to first reply, time to resolution, etc.).
- Partner with our Support Experience Product team to provide insight to continuously improve self-service for customers. Working cross functionally with Support Operations, Product Management, Engineering, and other cross functional teams.
- Lead the team that serves our 3M+ users.
- In partnership with our Director of Support Operations, develop and implement the strategy for 24x7 global customer support including scheduling, workforce management, and real-time queue management.
- Help establish, measure, and monitor customer support KPIs and metrics to track team goals and drive operational efficiency. Provide regular oversight to ensure we meet our goals.
- Coordinate with the various Support teams and their functions to ensure decisions you make are aligned with departmental and companies initiatives.
- Plug the holes: You should be comfortable executing on a variety of support and management related tasks yourself to help finish items when the team doesn't have dedicated resources and outsourcing or hiring isn't an option.
- Establish meetings and communications cadence, appropriate reporting and agenda requirements, and prepared teams ready for the challenges ahead of them.
- Work with Support Operations to ensure we are informing our Product team of insights that will help drive customer self-service.
- As part of our All Hands Support initiative, every week help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
Required Skills / Qualifications
- At least 10 years of customer support experience with 3-5 years of leadership experience in high growth environments is required.
- Experience leading planning processes that start with input from the team and ultimately align with the business's strategy
- Exceptional technical skills. Deep understanding of web apps and familiarity with the mechanics of APIs.
- Outstanding leadership and motivational skills, proven ability to develop individuals, including senior managers, and foster teamwork, including among globally distributed teams.
- Strong customer advocate that is passionate about delivering customers' successful business outcomes.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, organizational and project management skills.
- Proven experience in providing written summaries and reports to communicate vision, strategy, plans, findings, and results to the support and full Zapier team.
- Comfortable with experimentation: this is a startup so everything can change.