Deep Creek Laboratory Schools comprise the Deep Creek Primary School and Deep Creek Middle School. The Laboratory schools operate in partnership with The Ministry of Education and Cape Eleuthera Island School (CEIS), that serves as a center for educational innovation and research, and professional development and training. Our purpose is to enrich the national standard of education throughout The Bahamas through the implementation of evidence-based best practices in curriculum design, instruction, and assessment within a place-based educational model. The model is transferable, and the instructional practices will be successful in other schools, and will set a precedent for additional schools to transition into place-based, experiential education utilizing high-impact strategies in alignment with the Bahamian national curriculum. Outcomes include an increase in student achievement and investment of students, teachers and parents in the future of the next generation of leaders in The Bahamas.
A Unique Opportunity
- Compensation includes salary, housing, utilities, board stipend, and excellent international health plan
- A small, safe learning community of approximately 90 students and 15 staff
- Maximum class size of 15 students
- An innovative curriculum that focuses on academic growth, responsible citizenship, and leadership
- An emphasis on using experiential methods including field trips, project-based learning, service learning, and outdoor education
- The opportunity to live and work collaboratively with The Island School, Cape Eleuthera Institute, and Center for Sustainable Development
- An active lifestyle including SCUBA, snorkeling, sailing, kayaking, fishing, and many more outdoor pursuits
- An opportunity to experience living abroad while only one hour from Florida – enjoy the Caribbean island life and rich culture of The Bahamas
General Job Description
The Instructional Coach, having both content and instructional expertise, will work as a colleague with classroom teachers to support student learning and teacher practice in the areas of literacy and mathematics. The Instructional Coach will focus on individual and group professional learning that will expand and refine teachers’ understanding about researched-base effective instruction. In order to meet this purpose, the Instructional Coach will provide personalized, 1:1 support based on the goals and identified needs of individual teachers, as well as group professional development and training.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Exhibit theoretical and research-based knowledge of best practices in literacy and mathematics instruction from early childhood through adolescence
- Assist teachers in recognizing and responding to the multiple needs of the diverse learners
- Assist teachers in utilizing a variety of on-going, instructionally based assessment approaches to inform and differentiate instruction
- Research, teach, and model best practices used to address the needs of those students who struggle with reading, writing, and/or mathematics
- Assist with implementing a balanced literacy approach that includes targeted instruction in the five main areas of literacy as developmentally appropriate: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension
- Assist with implementing a conceptual approach to teaching mathematics
- Work with teachers and administrators to develop and use appropriate literacy and mathematics strategies, implementation plans, and assessment tools
- Assist with the implementation and facilitation of school-wide literacy and mathematics initiatives
- Provide ongoing professional development and coaching to staff
- Provide constructive feedback to teachers in their approach and instruction in literacy and mathematics
- Demonstrate instructional leadership and professionalism
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively communicate accurate and up-to-date information to teachers and students in a way that enhances student learning
- Manage time and resources appropriately
- Create a positive atmosphere that promotes cooperation with administration, parents, coworkers, and students
- Demonstrate concern for students’ and teachers’ wellbeing
- Embrace and encourage the acceptance of diversity
- Maintain a familiarity with current educational issues
- Use current technology for instruction and management purposes
- Be available for consult with parents, students, administration, and peers outside the school day, as needed
- Spend time beyond the school day preparing and planning instruction and professional development
- Disaggregate and analyze data to target instruction, enhance student learning, and inform teacher practice
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Director of Deep Creek Laboratory Schools
Those who join our high-functioning team will be committed to achieving the goals of the Deep Creek Laboratory School and the Cape Eleuthera Foundation with everyone in our community. A two-year commitment is required.
- Teaching credential and/or Masters Degree
- Five or more years of successful teaching experience at an established educational institution
- Previous coaching or teacher leadership experience
- Deep knowledge of and experience in evidence-based instructional strategies, conditions of learning, and assessment driven instruction (teaching/learning process)
- Effective communication, collaboration, and interpersonal skills for building an environment with a common instructional focus, promoting initiatives, and conveying expectations
- Ability to design and deliver quality professional development for administrators and teachers
- Outstanding presentation and facilitation skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in a professional manner both orally and in writing
- Demonstrated strength in organization, communication skills and efficiency in meeting deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to function as a positive collaborative member of a team
- Demonstrated interest and engagement in professional learning and reflection
- The ability to live and work in a remote location within a small community
- Flexibility and adaptability
Submit the following in PDF format to https://ceis.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=27 detailing your interest and experience:
- Cover letter explaining why you and your philosophy are a match for our school.
- Current resume.
- Three references (to include name, address, telephone number and email address) familiar with the applicant's recent work in these areas.
- Copies of existing licensing and any relevant certifications.
We are collecting applications until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is 1st July 2020. We are a Bahamian equal opportunity employer and preference will be given to suitably qualified Bahamians.