Food Safety Officer
Perfect opportunities begin at Perfect Day!
Journey with us! Combine your career goals and sense of adventure by joining our exciting team of employees on our Private Island located in The Bahamas, Perfect Day at CocoCay. Royal Caribbean Group is pleased to offer a competitive compensation & benefits package, and excellent career development opportunities, each offering unique ways to explore the world.
The Food Safety Officer is responsible for coordinating the execution of the company’s Public Health Program and ensuring the company’s public health standards are met and/or exceeded in our Private Destinations. He/She oversees all initiatives related to food safety and island crew hygiene standard in Food and Beverage areas, audits all cleaning and sanitation procedures to ensure all F&B venues are in compliance with both company and international sanitation standards by following public health guidelines, and conducts food safety and public health training for F&B employees continuously.
This Position will aid Public Health policies and implementation of sanitation programs including the Outbreak Prevention Plan (OPP). They will and must provide strategic and operational direction and leadership in all F&B areas regarding administering Private Destination food safety and sanitation program. This position maximizes its time extensively to the PD in support of island FBDR, to conduct training, scheduled and unscheduled reviews to ensure compliance with The Royal Way Standards and regulations. Lead and follow all new project implementations, compliance, island operation procedures, and venue uniqueness to ensure the ultimate guest experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean “The ROYAL Way” Standards, SQM and Shoreside SOPs, USPH, and HACCP guidelines, environmental, and workplace safety policies and procedures. Each employee may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage service venues .
- Partners with Hotel Operations, Shoreside F&B Operations, and any other department within RCCL assigned to that may affect restaurant, culinary, and beverage operations to ensure PD is meeting all public health standards.
- Follows, encourages, and lives by venue standards as illustrated in company and USPH SOPs.
- Can cohesively review new chemical, equipment, or other products while understanding current Island operations to support cost savings or increased functionality of cleaning products or procedures with shoreside team review.
- Responsible for giving guidance and providing detailed action plans for F&B Directors when Island requires sanitation direction.
- Supports PD management in maintaining compliance with internal and external requirements such as restaurant operations, Galley and Beverage Training Levels, USPH, inventory control, point-of-sale systems, promotional opportunity, etc.
- Consistently reviews current standards and suggests improvements.
- Shares best practices with management team.
- Conducts training and guides Island staff. This may be conducted individually or group setting.
- Monitors USPH standards in all areas of preparation including service and storage areas. Conducts regular simulated USPH and unannounced inspections.
- Participates in departmental conferences and environmental health seminars and appropriate training courses.
- Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required. Conducts compliance trainings in respective venues with individual teams for SOP knowledge
- Follows and embraces “the ROYAL way” and its values.
- Evaluates crew during operation for following procedures in sanitation and USPH protocols and can deliver delegation appropriately.
- Can create time control plans and monitor ALL food thawing, temperature for holding and serving, and all food heating and cooling procedures to be within safety and compliance.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position.
Qualifications, Knowledge & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, business administration or related field from an accredited college or university or the international equivalent preferred.
- Three to five years progressive managerial experience in Food and Beverage areas with 4 or 5 star hotels, restaurants or high volume food service facilities.
- Extensive knowledge of Food, Beverage and Service Procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of food and beverage handling procedures concerning public health standards.
- Ability to effectively communicate non-compliance issues with employees and management at all levels throughout the shipboard and shore side organizations.
- Ability to conduct training sessions at all levels including one-on-one to large groups.
- Ability to apply customer service skills, according to Royal Caribbean International’s Royal Way Standards when interacting with guests and coworkers.
- Ability to manage an international staff positively and productively by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or terminate employment.
- Working knowledge of computers, internet access, and the ability to navigate within variety software packages such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- All island employees must be physically able to participate in emergency lifesaving procedures and drills.
- Full use/range of motion of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency.
- Must be able to stand in the sun and endure external elements during work assignment.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Outdoors may be required to walk in extreme humid and hot conditions.
Join us at Royal Caribbean Group, where great vacations begin with great employees!
It is the policy of the Company to ensure equal employment and promotion opportunity to qualified candidates without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, sexuality, gender identity or expression, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law. RCG and each of its subsidiaries prohibit and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment